Inspiring Quotes About Fasting
We hope these Bible verses about fasting offering words of wisdom will persuade us to fast during this Lent season as a personal spiritual exercise. We expect these quotes about fasting will stimulate more believers to make it a regular part of their lives. These quotes about fasting will enable us to keep the focus and faith firmly on God during this season of soul searching and reconciliation with our beloved Father.
Our collection of Bible Verses by Topic will encourage you to read the Word of God daily, will target the very issue you are dealing with at the moment, and motivate you to find your strength in Jesus Christ.
Fasting Is An Express Of Humility
15. Psalm 35:13-14 Yet when they were ill, I put on sackcloth and humbled myself with fasting. When my prayers returned to me unanswered, I went about mourning as though for my friend or brother. I bowed my head in grief as though weeping for my mother.
16. 1 Kings 21:25-27 When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted. He lay in sackcloth and went around meekly.
Uplifting Bible Verses About Fasting
A collection of 50 uplifting bible verses about fasting and how fasting helps us to focus on God. Fasting helps us to seek Gods face and hear His voice while settings aside other things.
Many Christians see fasting as been too hard hence they have no idea how to begin or when to find the time to fast. We ought to see that fasting helps us to sharpen our spiritual vision, increases our desire for God and in the end, helps us to understand Gods will for us.
See other bible verses:
You May Like: Can I Drink Alcohol During Intermittent Fasting
Fasting Can Help Us With Physical And Emotional Healing
Fasting has been shown to have many health benefits, both physically and emotionally. It can help to boost the immune system, improve mental clarity, and even reduce stress levels. If you are dealing with a particular issue, fasting and prayer can be a powerful combination for finding healing and wholeness.
People Who Fasted In The Bible
- Moses Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights he ate no bread and drank no water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.
- David David therefore besought God for the child and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth.
- Ezra So we fasted and besought our God for this: and he was intreated of us.
- Nehemiah And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,
- Esther and the Jews Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
- King Darius Then the king went to his palace, and passed the night fasting: neither were instruments of musick brought before him: and his sleep went from him.
- Jesus And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
Prophetess Anna And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
- Cornelius And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,
Also Check: What Is The Point Of Fasting For Weight Loss
Inspiring Bible Verses For Fasting
by Brooke Obie
There are many spiritual benefits to fasting and many ways to do so. In the Bible, the prophet Daniel fasted for 21 days, eating only fruits and vegetables and drinking only water. Jesus fasted for 40 days in a period we call Lent. If you’re considering a fast, check with your doctor before beginning to make sure it’s medically safe for you to do so. Perhaps you are considering a different kind of fast. Some people choose to give up technology or a social media platform for a period of time. Whether you’re fasting as a personal spiritual exercise or as a community, and whether you’re limiting your food or your time on Facebook, the Bible offers many words of wisdom on fasting. Here are ten of our favorite Bible verses to motivate and inspire you to keep the faith during fasting.
Tips On How To Fast Safely
1. Make sure youre healthy enough to fast.
2. Drink plenty of fluids, especially water.
3. Avoid strenuous activity.
4. Eat healthy foods when you break your fast.
5. Plan ahead and make a schedule for your fasting days.
6. Start slowly if youve never fasted before.
7. Expect feelings of hunger and temptation during your fast.
8 Take care of yourself emotionally and spiritually while fasting.
9 Dont push yourself too hard physically or mentally while fasting.
10 Make sure youre getting the nutrients your body needs
11. Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
12. Eat smaller, more frequent meals.
13. Make sure to get enough protein and nutrients.
14. Avoid processed foods.
16. Exercise moderately if at all possible.
17. Stay positive and find support from others fasting with you or online groups/forums/blogs etc.
18. Pray without ceasing .
Read Also: How To Start Intermitten Fasting
Fasting Can Help Us To Become More Like Christ
As we deny ourselves and take up our cross daily, we are following in Jesus footsteps. As we do this, we can expect to see His character formed in us. We will become more patient, kind, humble, and self-controlled.
These are just a few of the advantages of fasting. If you have never tried it, why not give it a try? You may be surprised at how God will use it in your life!
Verses To Read When Fasting For A Relationship
Psalms 68:6 God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.
Isaiah 34:16 Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.
1 Corinthians 7:9But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
Psalm 27:14Wait for the Lord be strong, and let your heart take courage wait for the Lord!
Genesis 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone I will make him an help meet for him.
Proverbs 18:22He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.
Genesis 2:24Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
2 Corinthians 6:14Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
2 Peter 3:9The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
Hebrews 13:4Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.
You May Like: When Fasting On Keto What Can I Drink
Dont Fast To Be Seen As Spiritual
17. Matthew 6:17-18 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
18. Luke 18:9-12 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: God, I thank you that I am not like other peoplerobbers, evildoers, adulterersor even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.
19. Luke 18:1 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.
20. Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
21. Ecclesiastes 3:1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.
22. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances for this is Gods will for you in Christ Jesus.
Fasting Scriptures For Spiritual Breakthrough
Bible verses to read when fasting for spiritual breakthrough:
Pin This Image
Isaiah 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Esther 4:16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
Matthew 17:21However, this kind goes not out but by prayer and fasting.
Luke 2:37 And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
Types Of Fasting People Use Today
People today use many of the same fasts people used in the Bible.
- Complete fasts are still used today. Most people undertaking this type of fast choose to do so for 1 to 3 days. Due to the extreme nature of a full fast, one should consult the advice of a medical professional before undertaking this type of fast, especially if you plan to fast for an extended period of time.
- Partial fasts are quite common today. It is a very flexible way to fast, as there are many ways to do a partial fast. Someone might forgo their morning coffee or their afternoon soda. A person could decide to consume only fruits and vegetables or to eliminate processed foods, fast foods, or sugar. The possibilities are endless, really.
- A popular type of partial fast used today is the Daniel Fast. Used by many seeking spiritual revelation and breakthrough, it focuses on limiting the types of food consumed. While on the Daniel fast, people consume only fruits, vegetables, beans and legumes, unleavened grains, and water. It typically lasts 21 days but can be for any length of time. Churches commonly use the Daniel Fast corporately, praying and fasting together for answered prayer or spiritual revelation.
- Fasting often centers around food, but it doesnt have to. Today many people fast other things instead. Some non-food things people might forgo during a fast are social media, electronics, hobbies, or any other worldly thing or activity that takes up time that could be used for seeking God.
Bible Verses About Fasting
As a Christian, fasting should be something you do regularly. It is important for you to abstain from food and drinks sometimes, just so you can draw close to God and strengthen your relationship with him.
Although you need to keep in mind that fasting isnt just about skipping meals, you need to pray too, otherwise, you are just starving yourself. Prayer is a very important part of fasting.
There are so many reasons why one will want to fast but even if you think you have no reason to, fasting is a great way to strengthen your relationship with God. So by fasting, praying, and meditating on the word of God, you can build a close relationship with him.
Below, youll see some bible verses about fasting, to help you understand the importance of fasting and what to do when you are fasting.
You May Like: How To Lose Weight While Intermittent Fasting
Why Christian Should Fast
Fasting is an important part of the Christian life. It is a time when we can focus on God and His Word. It is also a time when we can draw closer to Him. Jesus fasted for forty days and nights before He began His ministry. Fasting is a way to humble ourselves before God. When we fast, we are admitting that we need Him and that we cannot do it on our own.
Fasting can be difficult, but it is worth it. When we fast, we are able to focus on Gods Word and put His will first in our lives. We are also able to better resist temptation and sin. In addition, fasting can help us break strongholds in our lives. Finally, fasting can lead us to spiritual breakthroughs.
If you have never fasted before, I encourage you to start small. Fast for one day or for a certain amount of time each day. As you grow in your faith, you can begin to fast for longer periods of time. I pray that you will experience the blessings that come from fasting and that you will grow closer to God as a result.
Encouraging Bible Verses About Fasting
Also Check: How Many Hours Is Considered Fasting
Spiritual Preparation For Fasting And Prayer
In preparation for this special time with God, cru.orgs guide to fasting urges that you examine your heart. Ask God to help you see your brokenness clearly so that you can confess your sins and repent. In Scripture, God frequently calls upon people to repent of their sins before listening to their prayers.
You can look to King Davids example in Psalm 66:16-20:
Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for me. I cried aloud to him, and he was extolled with my tongue.If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.But truly God has listened he has given heed to the words of my prayer.
Blessed be God,
A 40 Day Complete Biblical Fast
Our examples of a 40 day complete fast are Jesus and Moses who took things to the extreme by having no food or water for 40 days.
- So he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights he did not eat bread or drink water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.
- And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He then became hungry.
Please note that these are extreme examples of fasting and prayer and you should never consider this until after consulting a doctor.
Kindly Watch Evangelist Joshua On Youtube
Fasting should have a clear purpose and it must be clearly defined. However, people in the Bible fasted and prayed because they wanted something specific to happen. Fasting is taking your mind off of the things of this world in order to focus more on the things of God.
Fasting is the connection between you and God. With various types of fasting, it is therefore important to fast not because there is no money to feed or you wanted the world to know that you are fasting. Bible should be the standard or backing for your fasting and prayers. For example, if you embark on serious fast without prayers, then its just a spiritual exercise done in vanity.
Bible Verses To Take During Fasting And Prayers
1. 1 Thess 5:17 & 19, Pray without ceasing. Vs 19, Quench not the Spirit.
2. Isaiah 58:6,Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness,to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
3. Nehemiah 1:4, And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,
4. Acts 13:2-3, While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them. Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off.
13.And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.